Camping site licence

About camping site licences


If you allow your land to be used as a camping site by the public for more than 42 days consecutively - or 60 days in a year - you require a licence from us.

Conditions may be attached to a licence. There are exceptions for organisations that hold camping exemption certificates.

Application evaluation process

When an application is made it will be deemed to be made unconditionally unless we give notice that the application is refused or conditions are attached. We must determine your application within 2 months.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period.

Contact us

You should contact us if:

  • your application is refused
  • you are unhappy with an imposed condition 
  • you have a query about your licence
Wandsworth Council
Environmental Services
Private Housing Team
Town Hall
Wandsworth High Street
SW18 2PU


If your application is refused, you may appeal to:

South Western Magistrates' Court
Lavender Hill
SW11 1JU

Consumer complaints about a camping site

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other complaints

If you want to make a complaint about a camp site, such as noise or pollution, you can report it online.

European services directive

If you think that we have not complied with the European services directive by imposing requirements or conditions in respect of your application that are discriminatory, unfair or disproportionate, contact the UK SOLCVIT Centre.

Health and safety

Before setting up any business in the UK , you must ensure that it will comply with the relevant health and safety regulations. 

Further information on health and safety.

Trade associations and other sources of information