Representations, reviews, complaints, and appeals

Complain about a licensed premise

If you have a problem with a licensed premise

In the first instance discuss the issues informally with the premises manager or licence holder. In many cases they will not be aware of the problem and this will give them the opportunity to resolve the issues.

If this does not lead to an improvement, then you should contact us. 

Report incidents as follows:

You should start to keep a written record detailing each incident, including the date, time and how you were affected. This information can be crucial if your complaint cannot be resolved informally.

You can also contact your ward councillor or MP.

You are asked to provide as much detail as possible about when the problems happen, as this will help us to make sure we carry out any inspections at the most relevant time.