Minor variation to a club premises certificate
To make a minor variation to your existing club premises certificate you are required to make an application to vary the certificate.
The minor variation procedure allows a club to make small changes to their club premises certificate. Only changes that will not undermine the licensing objectives are permitted under this procedure. The following processes are considered a minor variation:
- Minor changes to the structure or layout of a premises (for example repositioning the bar counter)
- Small adjustments to licensing hours (this cannot include hours for alcohol)
- Removal of irrelevant or unenforceable conditions or volunteering of new conditions
If we believe that the application could have adverse impact on the licensing objectives we must reject the application.
Changes in the details of an existing club premises certificate
When a club changes its name or registered address, changes its secretary, or makes an alteration to the rules of the club, you must let us know of the change in writing, within 28 days.
Variations to an existing club premises certificate not considered a minor variation
There are limitations to the type of application that can be considered as a minor variation. If you want to make any of the following changes to what is authorised by your club premises certificate, you are required to make an application to make a major variation to the licence:
- Varying substantially the premises to which the certificate relates;
- Increasing the amount of time during a day that alcohol may be supplied;
- Adding licensable activities;
- Varying the hours during which a licensable activity is permitted; and
- Amending, adding or removing relevant conditions within a licence.
How to apply for a minor variation
An application for a minor variation to a club premises certificate can be made in one of two ways:
- Complete the form online (GOV.UK)
- Save a copy of the completed form for your own records
- Make the payment of using a debit or credit card
- You do not need to send additional copies to the responsible authorities when you make a minor variation application, as we will carry out the consultation
- Download and complete the application form
- Keep a copy of the completed form for your own records
- You do not need to send additional copies to the responsible authorities when you make a minor variation application, as we will carry out the consultation.
- Choose your method of payment
What you need to apply for a minor variation
You must provide the following with your completed application form:
Plan of the premises
If the plan of the premises are changing you must include a revised plan of the premises. The plan must be clear and legible in all respects and must show:
- The boundary of the building, including any external and internal walls and, if different, the perimeter of the premises
- Points of access to and egress i.e. doors
- Location of escape routes from the premises
- The area within the premises to be used for each licensable activity
- Fixed structures including furniture and temporarily fixed objects, such as seating, which may effect escape routes
- Location and height of any stage or raised area relative to the floor
- Location of any steps, stairs, elevators or lifts
- Location of all toilets
- Location and type of any fire safety and other safety equipment
- Location of a kitchen, if any, on the premises
You can use a legend to explain the symbols used on the plan. Download a template to help you complete the plan.
The application must be accompanied by the prescribed fee.
Advertise the application
You must advertise your application with a site notice. This notice must be displayed prominently at or on the premises to which the application relates detailing the application. The poster must be displayed where it can be conveniently read by the public.
The poster must be displayed for a period of 10 working days from the day after the date on which the application is submitted. It should be equal or larger than A4, printed legibly in black ink or typed in black in a font of a size equal to or larger than 16.
Download a template for the site notice.
What happens next?
We will check that:
- The application is correctly completed
- The application meets the criteria to be a minor variation
- If has been advertised correctly
If there is a problem
If there is a problem with the application, we may contact you for further information or return the application (or part of it) for your attention. Until these problems are solved your application is not valid and the consultation period will not start.