Council Tax discount eligibility

Government bodies

Member (and dependants) of visiting forces

You are disregarded if you are or someone in your household is:

  • a member of a qualifying visiting force, or of that force‚Äôs civilian component
  • a dependent of a member, as long as the dependent is not a British Citizen or normally lives in the UK.

If the property is occupied only by members of visiting forces or their dependents, there may be no Council Tax to pay.  

People with diplomatic privilege or immunity 

You are disregarded if you or someone in your household is a diplomat. To be counted as a diplomat for Council Tax purposes, you must:

  • be a diplomat or a dependant of a diplomat, or
  • have diplomatic privileges and immunities, and 
  • not be British. 

If all the people liable for Council Tax fall into this category the property is exempt, even if there are other residents who are not diplomats. 

To apply complete, sign, and return by email or post the Council Tax Reductions for Diplomats Form.

A member of international headquarters and defence organisation

You are disregarded if you or someone in your household is designated under the International Headquarters and Defence Organisations Act, or a dependant of them, lives in your home. 

Apply for discount

For a full list of criteria and to apply, use our online form and let us know which discount you are applying for. Allow up to 14 working days for a response.