Open4Business: September 2016
Great British High Street Awards
The hunt is on to find the nation's best high streets and Wandsworth residents and business owners still have time to nominate their favourite ones in the borough, as part of the Great British High Street award.
Nominations for the awards close on Friday 9 September, so you have to be quick. In addition to a cash prize, winners will also receive dedicated support and mentoring from industry experts which could range from one to one coaching to advice on digital marketing. Internet giant, Google's expert training taskforce will also provide category winners with training on how to make the most of their digital skills.
High Streets Minister Andrew Percy said: "Last year's Great British High Street competition was a massive success with a record number of entries and winning high streets seeing a surge in shoppers.
Our local high streets remain the life and soul of towns, villages and cities across the country and I'd encourage as many as possible to enter this year’s competition which is set to be even bigger and better."
The competition categories include:
- Best Town Centre High Street
- Best Local Centre - precinct or parade of shops
- Best London High Street
- Rising Star - to recognise towns who are turning fortunes around
The 4 competition categories for individuals are:
- Best Store Manager or Employee from a National Retailer / Organisation
- Best Store Manager or Employee from an Independent / Small Business
- Best Market Manager, Operator, Farmer or Trader
- Best under 25 year old, manager or employee from a high street business
The top 3 shortlisted in each category will be announced in October. They will then go through to a public online vote and be visited by the Future High Streets Forum judging panel made up of industry leaders from across retail, property and business. Details of how to enter the competition can be found on the Great British High Street website.