Open4Business: May 2016
Love Your Local Market
Wandsworth residents are urged to support their local markets during the Love Your Local Market fortnight.
Love Your Local Market (LYLM) is a celebration of market culture in the UK that will take place 17 - 31 May, led by the National Association of British Market Authorities (NABMA) and backed by Central Government and the wider market industry. The campaign encourages public support of their local market, and champions the micro businesses that make markets special.
The campaign also aims to build affection and support for markets, by enhancing their status within the local community, and highlighting the importance of markets as community assets.
Last year, more than 1,000 markets took part in Love Your Market fortnight to put on over 7,000 events. Markets are a vital part of our nation’s high streets and town centres, which offer more than just a shopping experience and are the backbone of local economy and the heart of our communities.
LYLM is also about entrepreneurship and since starting in 2012 the markets industry has pledged over 10,000 pitches to new traders. By shopping at your local market you’ll have access to cheaper and fresher fruit and vegetables and you will also be helping local producers and supporting the local economy.
To find out how you can get involved in Love Your Market week, visit the Love Your Local Market website.
Markets in Wandsworth that you can support
- Broadway Market: 29 Tooting High Street, London SW17 0RJ
- Farmer’s Market: Chestnut Grove, Balham SW12 8JZ
- Tooting Market : 21-23 Tooting High St, London SW17 0RJ
- Hildreth Street Balham: SW12 9RQ
- New Covent Garden Market: SW8 5BH
- Northcote Road Market: SW11 6QB
- Northcote Road Antiques Market: 155a Northcote Road, SW11 6QB
- Wandsworth Town Food Market: Podmore Road, London SW18 1AP