Cycling is a cheap, efficient and healthy form of transport, which has little adverse impact on the environment. On local journeys, cycling is often faster and more reliable than other forms of transport, particularly in congested conditions.
Join our cycling mailing list
Join the Council's cycling mailing list to be sent email alerts of cycling-related events and projects happening in Wandsworth and greater London.
'Dr Bike' safety checks
At these free events Dr Bike will be able to check that your tyres, wheels, frame, brakes, gears, and chain are all in good working order and that your seat and handlebars are at the correct height.
If Dr Bike believes your bike requires more than basic repairs, you will need to visit a local specialist bike shop. We will be on hand to offer advice, local cycling maps, and cycling giveaways.
The next batch of sessions will be:
- Wednesday 5 June 5-7pm Balham Community Space (adjacent to Sainsbury's car park)
- Saturday 8 June 12-2pm St Mary's Church Square, Putney High Street
- Wednesday 12 June 5-7 pm Balham Community Space
- Wednesday 19 June 5-7pm Balham Community Space
- Saturday 22 June 12-2pm St Mary's Church Square, Putney High Street
- Sunday 21 July 12-2pm Battersea Park, opposite the zoo
- Sunday 28 July 12-2pm Battersea Park, opposite the zoo
Beginners' bicycle maintenance class
If you're a Wandsworth resident aged 16 years or older, you can learn how to keep your own bicycle in good working order by taking part in a free Beginners' Bicycle Maintenance Class.
The next batch of two-hour classes will be held in Battersea on:
- Friday 24 May 6-8pm
- Thursday 30 May 6-8pm
- Friday 31 May 6-8pm.
Please note these classes are an introduction for absolute beginners who have no experience in maintaining a bike.
For more information, or to book a place, phone 020 8871 7984.
Heavy Goods Vehicle awareness events
At these events cyclists are invited to sit in the cab of a Heavy Goods Vehicle and see how the road looks from the driver's point of view.
Free cycle training
Cycling training courses are available, free of charge, to children and adults who live, work, or study in Wandsworth.
Tips for promoting cycling in your workplace
- Provide cycle parking
- Organise Dr Bike sessions and bicycle maintenance classes for employees
- Provide showers and changing facilities at your workplace
- Set up a Bicycle Users' Group (BUG) to promote awareness of cycling related issues
- Hold a cyclists' breakfast or lunchtime BBQ for people who cycle to work
- Run a Cycle Challenge to see who can complete the most cycle journeys in one week
- Distribute copies of the relevant London Cycle Guide for your area - these can be ordered from Transport for London on 020 7222 1234
- Arrange with your personnel department to pay cycle mileage for business journeys
- Take part in Bike Week, and the London Cycle Challenge, which runs each year in June.
Information and ideas
The Transport for London website is a valuable source of information on schemes, facilities, local cycle routes and events.
More information about cycling can be obtained from the Cyclists Touring Club and the London Cycling Campaign (LCC). Wandsworth Cyclists is the local LCC group, can be emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information contact the Environment and Community Services Department.
- Telephone: 020 8871 7984
- Email: email@example.com