Our goals for Wandsworth
The council is committed to making Wandsworth:
"a community of global citizens living within environmental limits in an attractive high quality local environment".
We have long-term ambitions for a more sustainable future. These are:
- Demonstrating leadership on sustainability in partnership with local communities
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions to slow down climate change and reduce reliance on fossil fuels
- Preparing for and adapting to the unavoidable effects of climate change
- Tackling consumption of resources, energy and pollution; and
- A cleaner, greener, healthier and safer borough that does not compromise the wellbeing of future generations
Our 2010 Environmental Ambition Statement sets out the council's aims in full.
Over the past few years we have made progress on environmental issues in many ways, for example:
- We signed the Nottingham Declaration on climate change in 2009, setting out our intentions to tackle both the causes and effects of climate change
- We have been awarded the Carbon Trust Standard for our work to reduce carbon emissions and our comprehensive Carbon Management Plan
- We work with stakeholders to protect and enhance space for wildlife and for community uses such as food growing. Advice on what you can do to help wildlife
- Our environmental planning policies aim to ensure that sustainability is designed into new buildings and plans (see the Local development framework pages)
- We encourage walking and cycling to school, support car clubs and are improving public transport and providing electric car charging points
- We have adopted a Sustainable Purchasing Policy for council spending.
Projects supported by the council: