Wandsworth Schools' Music Service
Wandsworth Music Academy
A centre of musical excellence in South West London
The Wandsworth Music Academy provides high quality musical progression routes for over 300 children and young people aged 5-18 covering a wide range of musical genres, instrumental and vocal studies across three age group phases. From the very beginning of instrumental learning, young people are supported to play in ensembles, orchestras and bands through our bespoke ensemble development programme encompassing classical, jazz, popular and world music genres.
Key Stage 1 (5-7 years)
Sessions include singing, rhythm games, percussion and recorder to develop children's core musical skills and foster a lifelong enjoyment of music.
Key Stage 2 (7-11 years)
Children enjoy a full morning of music, including a small group instrumental lesson, ensemble (orchestra or band), general musicianship (theory, composition or improvisation), choir and world music (steel pans and African djembe drumming)
Secondary (11-18 years)
Secondary students may apply for membership of the borough's leading orchestras and ensembles and are also offered the option of a 1-1 principal study instrumental lesson. Supporting lessons in theory and additional world music and ensemble sessions are also available.
How to apply
To apply for a place at the Wandsworth Music Academy, download a music lesson application form, or contact the Music Administrators (firstname.lastname@example.org 020 8871 8703) to ask for an application form.
To apply for membership of an ensemble, download an ensemble application form, or contact the Music Administrators.
Where and whenBurntwood Academy
9am to 1.30pm, Saturdays during term times (30 weeks per year), usually divided into 3 terms of 10 weeks with half-term breaks.
- A remission is available where more than one child in the same family attends: 15% reduction for all children within the immediate family.
- Assistance with fees may be available on application to those on restricted incomes living in Wandsworth, subject to conditions.
- Download a financial assistance request form.
- Download all current Wandsworth Music Academy fees.
Remission of fees can only be offered on termly programmes that cost more than £150 per term per child.
Saturday Sound Start Y1
Saturday Sound Start Y2
Including choir session
Junior Academy KS2 (7-11 years):
- £270 (inclusive of Wandsworth Music Academy Membership Fee)
Senior Academy (11-18 years)
- Music Academy Membership (Inclusive of ensemble membership): £70
- Music Academy Membership, Ensemble + individual lesson: £270
- Music Academy Membership, Ensemble + small group instrumental lesson (Electric Guitar Only): £195
- Theory: £65
- Additional ensembles: £65
- Guitar: £15.00 per term
- Trumpet, trombone, baritone, flute, clarinet, alto sax, cello, violin: £37 per term
- Oboe, Bassoon, Tuba, French horn, Euphonium: £57 per term (discounted at £37 per term for beginners in Y3-6)
The Music Service loans most instruments except pianos and keyboards, subject to availability
Students attending the Music Academy wishing to purchase their own instrument can do so through the Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme. This allows parents or carers to obtain our discounted prices and avoid VAT in most cases.
What is expected of our students
- Attendance: students are expected to attend all sessions each Saturday morning during term time. Prior notice for unavoidable absences is requested.
- Practice: this is an essential aspect of learning an instrument and leads to improvement and therefore a sense of satisfaction and achievement for the musician. Guidance is offered weekly through the practice notebook, provided for communication between the parents and the tutor.
- Approach: we hope all students will enjoy their music-making and be keen to extend and improve their skills.
Instrumental tutors are either qualified music teachers or professional musicians who have been auditioned and interviewed by Wandsworth Schools' Music Service.
The Academy team
The Academy is managed by the head of the Music Service, assisted by Pastoral/Administrative staff and a team of over 40 professional music tutors.