Wandsworth Schools' Music Service
Music in schools
Wandsworth Schools' Music Service is based in Tooting and is the lead partner of the Wandsworth Music Education Hub.
Our wide range of music programmes support the development of children's musical talents both in and out of the school environment.
Several core programmes are offered to schools:
- Whole Class Ensemble Tuition (Wider Opportunities) for whole classes of Primary children to learn musical instruments. Popular instruments include; Trumpet Trombone, Clarinet, Saxophone,Violin and cello. Sessions run over 30 weeks a year and give children (often) their first opportunity to learn a musical instrument. Continuation programmes ensure large numbers continue to enjoy music making and are able to progress to the borough's main ensembles and orchestras.
- Singing Support from the Singing Strategy Team. This work supports schools to develop singing ability and introduce a wide range of styles and genres of music leading to public performances, including at a number of prestigious concert venues.
- Major performance opportunities for concerts such as the Mayor of Wandsworth's Charity Carol Concert, Winter Sounds Concert and the prestigious Brighter Sounds Concert at the Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall.
- Provision of peripatetic tutors for instrumental and vocal teaching: the service employs 140 specialist music tutors to work across its programmes and support schools to deliver their music curriculum.
Wandsworth Schools' Music provides a graded range of ensembles to support our young musicians to progress through to the highest levels.
After School Ensembles
- String Thing! is open to string players, playing at approximately Grade 1 to 4 standard, to help develop ensemble skills in a fun and relaxed environment.
- Tootin’ Brass is an ensemble open to brass players, playing at approximately Grade 1 to Grade 4 standard to help develop ensemble specific skills in a fun and relaxed environment.
- Wandsworth Youth Choir is open to young people in year 6 through to year 9, rehearsing a wide variety of choral repertoire on a Wednesday evening
- Wandsworth Performance Troupe Junior is open to children from year 3 through to year 6 who love to sing and dance, offering opportunities to perform and develop their skills in singing and musical theatre.
- Wandsworth Performance Troupe Senior is open to children from year 7 upwards who love to sing and dance, offering opportunities to perform and develop their skills in singing and musical theatre.
Saturday ensembles at the Wandsworth Music Academy include three symphony orchestras and two jazz orchestras.
- Wandsworth Training Orchestra (Beginners – Grade 1)
- Wandsworth Junior Orchestra (Grades 1 - 3)
- Wandsworth Concert Orchestra (Grades 3 - 6)
- Wandsworth Philharmonic Orchestra (Grade 5 - 8 and above)
- Wandsworth Jazz Orchestra Too (Grade 3-5)
- Wandsworth Jazz Orchestra (Grade 58 and above)
- Wandsworth Pop & Rock Bands (Secondary Only)
- Wandsworth Steel Pan Jam (Secondary Only)
Members of the Wandsworth Concert and Philharmonic Orchestras also attend half term holiday courses in preparation for major events and the annual orchestra tour which in 2019 will be to Germany. Membership of senior orchestras and bands is by audition only.