Nursery schools

Nurseries for children with special educational needs

Children with a disability or a learning difficulty may have special education needs.

All nurseries and Early Years settings will have a special needs co-ordinator (SENCO).

The special needs co-ordinator will:

  • Ensure parents and professionals liaise about a child's special educational needs.
  • Advise and support school practitioners.
  • Ensure Individual Education Plans (IEP) are in place.
  • Ensure relevant background information about individual children with special educational needs is collected, recorded and updated.

Most children will have their educational needs met by their nursery provider or school. Severe or complex needs may require more support than their school or setting can give.

For children who need more help, the Local Education Authority (LEA) may make a legal assessment of the child's needs to find out what level of help is needed.

The assessment might lead to a statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) being written saying how the child's needs must be met, either in an Early Years setting with extra help or in a suitable special school.

Get an information pack about special educational needs from

Special Needs Assessment Section (SNAS)
Wandsworth Council
Children's Services Department
Town Hall
Wandsworth High Street
SW18 2PU

Find out more about special needs assessment section.