Improving private housing
Empty homes and grants
Empty properties and grants: see also
Sub Regional Officer
Tel: 020 8871 7668
Wandsworth borough is a popular place to live and demand for homes is high, which is why we have a strategy to reduce the number of vacant and empty private properties and bring them back into residential use.
What we can do
We have a range of services to help homeowners and landlords:
- information and advice
- support to help homeowners carry out improvement work
- empty property grants
Empty homes that have been left for some time can become a problem to other residents. This includes, overgrown gardens, rubbish being dumped, attracting crime, pest control probelms and as well as being an unsightly.
We have enforcement powers to bring vacant properties back into use. For example, these might include requiring homeowners to carry out works and in some cases compulsory purchase.
Report an empty property
You can help us bring empty homes in the borough back into use by reporting them to us.
Empty property grants
- We offer a grant for up to £25,000 to help towards the costs of improving an empty property.
- Your property must have been empty for at least 6 months.
- The grant will only be approved where you agree to give the council nomination rights for 5 years, so we can let it to an applicant wating for housing.
- You will remain the landlord and the rent you charge cannot exceed the maximum level supported by the local housing allowance during this period.