Reducing your council tax
Some properties are exempt from Council Tax. Please login to your account or register for our online service, to submit an application form. This is the quickest way for your application to be processed.
Alternatively, please email email@example.com giving full details of the reduction you would like to apply for.
Exemptions applying to vacant properties.
- Class B (Charity and empty) - owned, and was last occupied, by a charity - exempt for up to six months.
- Class D (Vacant and liable person detained) - left empty by someone who has gone into prison
- Class E (Vacant and liable person in hospital) - left empty by someone who has gone to live in a hospital or care home.
- Class F (Vacant and liable person deceased) - waiting for probate or letters of administration to be granted - and for up to six months after.
- Class G (Occupation prohibited by law) - empty because occupation is prohibited by law.
- Class H (Vacant held for a minister of religion) - waiting to be occupied by a minister of religion.
- Class I (Vacant and liable person living elsewhere to receive personal care) - left empty by someone who has moved to receive personal care.
- Class J (Vacant and liable person living elsewhere to provide personal care) - left empty by someone who has moved to provide personal care.
- Class K (Vacant left empty by a student) - owned by a student studying elsewhere, who has lived in the property as his or her main home.
- Class L (Vacant and has been repossessed) - property has been repossessed.
- Class Q (Vacant and liable person bankrupt) - property is the responsibility of a bankrupt's trustee.
- Class R (Unoccupied pitch or mooring) - an unoccupied caravan pitch or boat mooring.
- Class T (Unoccupied annexe to an occupied dwelling) - an unoccupied annexe to an occupied property.
Exemptions applying to occupied properties.
- Class M (Student halls of residence) - provided predominantly for full time students.
- Class N (Student household) - occupied only by students, school or college leavers or by certain spouses or dependants of students.
- Class P (Visiting forces accommodation) - visiting forces accommodation.
- Class O (Armed forces accommodation) - living accommodation for UK armed forces.
- Class S (Occupied under 18's) - occupied only by persons under 18.
- Class U (Occupied by SMI's) - occupied only by severely mentally impaired persons.
- Class V (Occupied by diplomat) - occupied by person with diplomatic privilege or immunity.
- Class W (Occupied granny annexe) - an annexe to an occupied property.