Reducing your council tax
If only one adult occupies your property you can get 25% off your bill. We require the following:
- Confirmation that you are the only person over the age of 18 in the property and that it is your sole or main residence.
- The date that your sole occupancy started.
You can also apply for the single person discount by completing the online Application for Single Occupancy Discount.
Generally, if there are two or more adults living in your household, no reduction will apply. But you can get get this reduction if all the adults, except one, fall into one of these categories:
- aged 18 but still at school attracting child benefit, 18 or 19 year old school leavers.
- a full time student, student nurse, trainee on youth trainee course, apprentice, foreign language assistant, part time student under the age of 20 or non British spouses of full time students.
- a patient in hospital, nursing or care home.
- a carer for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18.
- a person who is severely mentally impaired (e.g. Alzheimer's)
- a member of international headquarters and defence organisations or a member of a religious community.
- members (and dependants) of visiting forces.
- persons with diplomatic privilege or immunity.
- a resident of certain types of hostel.
- a person in prison.