Waste: information for businesses
Free environmental support (Greening Business)
Greening Business Service
Greening Business is a free service part funded by the European Regional Development Fund, Wandsworth Council and its partners that helps you to save pounds and the planet.
It offers small businesses an intense support, mentoring and advice service focused on five environmental essentials:
Qualified Environmental Business Adviser will provide 12 hours of tailored one-to-one support* including:
- First meeting - initial discussion with the business to confirm the needs and issues it wants to focus on.
- Review (including a Site Audit) - information gathering and review of current environmental practices and controls, energy consumption, water usage, waste management, travel planning and the financial impacts of these e.g. on bills, meter readings.
- Research - includes e-mail support & monitoring, researching for competitively priced environmentally friendly alternatives, cost calculations etc.
- Action Planning - e.g. fleet management plan to reduce fuel consumption, procurement advice to help the business buy recycled products of similar or better quality at the same price or possibly cheaper, developing a policy for waste management, etc.
- Follow-Up - helping businesses implement action plans, gather environmental data and check results i.e. that the interventions resulted in financial and/or environmental savings.
Once implemented, the Action Plans will help business to:
- Reduce their environmental footprints
- Save money
- Meet environmental legal requirements
- Enhance their green credentials
- Work in partnership with other local businesses to achieve environmental efficiencies
- Win larger contracts.
Advisors can also help businesses draft environmental policy statements to enhance their green credentials and help them to gain green accreditation such as ISO 14001, the Carbon Trust Standard and the energy efficiency standard BS EN 16001.
* Eligibility criteria apply
Featured case study showing how an energy efficiency drive generated £900 savings for a local beauty salon during the previous "Go Green Plus" programme.
There are 10 partners with Wandsworth Council as the lead partner. The other partners and their roles are:
The Greening Business service is also available in the Boroughs of Barking & Dagenham, Merton, Richmond upon Thames, Southwark and the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea.
Undertake outreach, engagement and marketing targeting female, minority ethnic and/or disabled business owners.
Provide one environmental advisor.
Merton Chamber of Commerce
Provide a Programme Operations Manager and two environmental advisors.
Promote the programme to all its tenant SMEs in the participating boroughs to encourage them to participate.
Find out more about Greening Business
Merton Chamber of Commerce Business Solutions
27-37 St George's Road,
Telephone: 020 8944 5501