Building control

Types of application

Building notice

For domestic alterations and extensions you can submit a building notice giving brief details of your proposals. These should be submitted before the work starts together with the fee. You can start work on site 48 hours after the notice is submitted as long as you have paid the correct fee. This should be paid online by credit or debit card.

Full plans

If you wish to obtain formal approval for domestic works before the work begins you can submit a full plans application. To do so you should enclose the appropriate fee together with two copies of the drawings and if appropriate, structural calculations, giving full details of your proposals.

We will acknowledge your application within five days, and let you know if for any reason it is incomplete and we will give you the name of the officer dealing with your project. Decisions can take up to five weeks but are usually given much sooner. If the work is purely domestic we will give you a decision within two weeks.

Once you have received full plans approval you can submit a commencement notice or phone your designated Building Control officer on the mobile number you have been given. This must be done 24 hours before the work starts. We then inspect the work on site.

Works to shops, offices, factories, hotels and boarding houses must be made by the full plans route so that we can consult the fire brigade to ensure that adequate fire precautions measures are provided.

Rejected applications

We will reject your application if it shows major contraventions of the building regulations. Wherever possible we will approve it, if necessary with conditions where we need additional information or if minor changes are needed.

If you disagree with our decision you have the right to appeal.