Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction for older people

Ways that you can claim/apply for an award

Coming up to retirement?

If you have reached the qualifying age for state pension and wish to claim Housing Benefit and apply for Council Tax Reduction, there are additional ways you can apply.

Housing Benefit

You can apply for Housing Benefit by completing an online application form

The State Retirement Age began to increase gradually from April 2010. You can check the date that you will reach State Pension Age using GOV.UK State Pension age calculator.

The Pension Service helps with State Pension eligibility, claims and payments.

Visit the Pension Service website to find out ways to contact the Pension Service and make an online claim.

Council Tax Reduction

You can apply for Council Tax Reduction (including Second Adult Rebate) by completing an online application form.

Home visits

If you have reached State Pension age and require extra assistance to make a claim for Housing Benefit and apply for Council Tax Reduction you can request a home visit from the Benefits Service Visiting Team.

As well as assisting with Housing Benefit claims and Council Tax Reduction applications, the Visiting Service can also provide advice and assistance about other Welfare benefits and schemes available to you.

Contact the Benefits Visit Team

If you would like a Visiting Officer to call at your home to assist you with your Benefit claim you can get in touch by: