Wandsworth Discretionary Social Fund
Discretionary Community Care Grant
Grants are intended to meet a need for community care. They can be awarded to:
- help people establish in the community following a stay in an institution or care home in which they received care
- help people remain in the community rather than enter an institution or care home in which they will receive care
- ease exceptional pressures on people and their families
- help people set up home in the community, following an unsettled way of life
You must be a Wandsworth resident, have lived in the borough for six weeks prior to applying, and expect to be resident after any award is made, or-
In the case of someone moving from a place providing care or support, be about to move into the borough.
Also, you must be in receipt of a relevant benefit, such as:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
- Pension Credit.
Consideration will be given in exceptional circumstances to low income working households.
What you can get a grant for
- furniture (like bed, wardrobe, tables and chairs)
- household equipment (like cooker, fridge, washing machine, carpet, curtains)
How you will be paid
Discretionary Community Care Grants will not be paid as cash, but will be made by provision of the goods or vouchers, already paid for by the Council.
Grants are paid from a limited budget. A maximum of one award will be given in a 52 week period.
How to apply
Please complete the local assistance form here and allow up to 5 working days for a decision to be made. Please include an up to date telephone number so an officer can contact you in order to process your claim.