Local Housing Allowance
Work out the Local Housing Allowance rate that applies to you
The maximum rent figure used in your Housing Benefit calculation will be the applicable Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate for your household or your rent figure if lower. The Local Housing Allowance rates are set annually and remain stable for 12 months. Below please find the rates applicable in Wandsworth Broad Rental Market Areas (WBRMs) from 1 April 2013 to 31 March 2014.
Current LHA rates for Wandsworth
Value as a weekly sum(s)
From April 2013 London Inner SW
Value as a weekly sum(s)
From April 2013 London Outer SW
|Shared Accomodation rate||£87.26||£78.50|
The Local Housing Allowance room rate that you are entitled to depends on the size of your household. You are allowed one bedroom for:
- Every adult couple
- Any other adult aged 16 or over
- Any two children (under 16) of the same sex
- Any two children of the opposite sex under 10
- Any other child (under 16)
- A Carer (or team of carers) who do not live with you but provide you or your partner with overnight care ( see below for criteria).
- Certain criteria can allow for an additional bedroom for a disabled child where the disability causes a requirement for an additional room that would increase the number required.
- An adult dependant who is on operations with the armed forces who intends to return to the property.
For registered Foster Parents either whilst a foster child/children resides in the property or for a maximum of 52 for periods between foster children.
There are some other important rules to bear in mind when working out which LHA rate applies to you:
- If you are single or if you and your partner occupy one room with shared facilities such as living room and kitchen, you will receive a shared accommodation rate.
- The Maximum LHA rate is for four rooms.
Single joint tenants with no dependents or non dependents qualify for the shared accommodation LHA rate. If a joint tenant has children then they will qualify for the LHA rate which applies to them given their household circumstances.
If you are single with no dependents and under 35, you will receive a shared accommodation rate even if you do not have shared facilities.( You may be exempt from this if you have previously resided in a hostel for more than 3 months or are an ex-offender under MAPPA).
The LHA Room Calculator will help you to work out how many bedrooms you are entitled to and the room rate applicable to you. Select the circumstances which describe you and your family, if any.
Please note recent changes for Foster carers/Armed Forces Personnel and additional room relating to a disabled child are not currently reflected in this calculator.