Resident self-build and custom housebuilding
In accordance with the provisions of the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 and the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations 2016, we have set up a register for people who are interested in resident self-build or custom-build homes in Wandsworth.
Wandsworth's Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Register is divided into two parts and entry on to either Part 1 or Part 2 of the register depends on eligibility criteria.
What is a self-build home?
are two types of self-build homes:
- A resident self-build home allows the future resident to organise the home's design and construction. This could involve independently employing an architect and builder.
- A custom-build home is generally where an individual or group of individuals works with a specialist developer to help deliver homes.
Eligibility for the register
To be eligible for Part 1 of the register you must:
- Be aged 18 or older
- Be a British citizen, a national of a EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
- Be seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land to build a house to occupy as your sole or main residence
- Currently live and have continuously lived within the Borough of Wandsworth for the past two years from the date of your application (this is our 'local connection test', if you are in the service of the regular armed forces or have served in the armed forces within the last two years from the date of your application, you will be deemed to have satisfied the 'local connection test')
- Have access to a minimum of £350,000 (either in savings or through private finance or mortgage in principle)
Should you meet all the above criteria, with the exception of our 'local connection test' you will be entered onto Part 2 of the register.
How we use the information on the register
By registering your interest on the Wandsworth Resident Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Register we can determine the level of demand for self-build and custom-build houses required in the borough.
Using the information from the register, we can identify suitable plots for self-build and custom housebuilding and find out about the location, plot size and type of houses that are in demand. The register will also help to inform policies around this type of housebuilding in our Local Plan review and other council activities.
Please note that entry on the register will not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified or be made available.
Any future opportunities for resident self-build and custom-build projects in the borough may require planning permission and will be assessed in line with our planning policies and guidance.
How to apply
If you are interested in Resident Self-build or Custom housebuilding opportunities in Wandsworth and meet the eligibility criteria for the Wandsworth register, please contact the Home Ownership Team on:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 020 8871 6161
There is a fee of £150 for eligible applicants to join our Part 1 register for one year, with an annual re-registration fee of £150 to remain on the register thereafter, subject to re-assessment of any relevant eligibility criteria at that time. There is no fee to join the Part 2 register.