Local Plan: employment and industry review
Examination in public
Before it can be adopted, Wandsworth’s Local Plan is subject to an independent Examination in Public by a Planning Inspector to assess whether it is 'sound'.
The Secretary of State has appointed Inspector Kenneth Stone BSc (Hons) Dip TP MRTPI to carry out an independent Examination of the Wandsworth Local Plan. The inspector will consider whether or not the Local Plan is sound based on the criteria set out in paragraph 182 of the National Planning Policy Framework.
The Local Plan will be considered sound if the Inspector concludes that it is:
- Positively prepared, meaning that the plan is prepared based on a strategy which seeks to meet objectively assessed development and infrastructure requirements. This includes unmet requirements from neighbouring authorities where it is reasonable to do so and consistent with achieving sustainable development.
- Justified, meaning that the plan should be the most appropriate strategy, when considered against the reasonable alternatives, based on proportionate evidence
- Effective, meaning that the plan should be deliverable over its period (in this case 15 years) and based on effective joint working on cross-boundary strategic priorities
- Consistent with national policy, meaning that the plan should enable the delivery of sustainable development in accordance with the policies in the Framework
The Inspector will also consider whether the Local Plan has been prepared in accordance with the Duty to Cooperate, and whether it meets the requisite legal and procedural requirements.
In order to do so, the Inspector will assess the Local Plan, the evidence base on which it was created, as well as all of the representations submitted during the consultation phases.
The examination hearings have taken place.
The hearing sessions for the examination of the Local Plan began on Tuesday 20 February and concluded on Wednesday 21 February. The purpose of the hearings was for the Planning Inspector to examine matters relating to the ‘soundness’ of the plan in more detail. These matters are identified in the main issues and questions paper prepared by the Planning Inspector.
The hearings were held at: Town Hall, Wandsworth High Street, SW18 2PU.
|Submission||13 October 2017|
|Hearings start||20 February 2018 (concluded)|
|Consultation on Main Modifications||23 May to 8 July 2018|
Adoption: Strategic Planning and Transport Overview and Scrutiny Committee
|Adoption: Full Council||5 December|
We have created an index of examination documents. Including the following:
- Correspondence with the Inspector
- Examination statements from us and other parties
- Evidence supporting the Local Plan
Consultation on Main Modifications to the Plan
Following the hearing sessions, the Inspector has proposed a number of Main Modifications to the submission version of the Plan, which he considers necessary to make the Plan 'sound' and/or legally compliant. Public consultation on these Main Modifications took place between 23 May and 8 July. This consultation was only on the proposed Main Modifications, and the supplementary Sustainability Appraisal Screening of the Main Modifications, and not other aspects of the Plan.
Main Modifications are those which the Inspector considers are necessary to make the plan sound and/or legally compliant. Main Modifications are proposed without prejudice to the Inspector's final conclusion on the Local Plan Employment and Industry review document which will take account of all representations submitted in response to this consultation.
Download the Schedule of Main Modifications
Available for information only:
Download the Additional Modifications
Download Appendix 1
These contain minor changes put forward by the Council during the Examination. They have been published for completeness and are not before the Inspector. The changes set out in Appendix 1 should be read in conjunction with the Policies Map changes document.
The Planning Inspector, Kenneth Stone BSc (Hons) Dip TP MRTPI, has reported on the Examination into the Wandsworth Local Plan. He has recommended a number of final Main Modifications to be made in order to make the Local Plan sound. These accompany his report as an appendix.
Hard copies are also available at local libraries.
The examination is now closed.
The Local Plan will proceed to Full Council in December 2018 for approval to adopt.
If you would like more information, or are having trouble downloading any of the documents, please contact the Planning Policy Team.
Phone: 020 8871 7620