Recruitment safeguarding and employment checks
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
We expect all of our staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
What we expect
Our selection process is based on good practice to ensure we select the best candidate for the job.
We practice equal opportunities in our recruitment process, but will reject any applicant who is unsuitable to work with our services users.
We expect candidates to understand their duty and responsibility around child protection and safeguarding, in relation to any job they apply for.
All of our staff must report any safeguarding or child protection concerns to their manager right away.
What we will check
We carry out pre-employment checks for all staff including casual, temporary and voluntary staff.
- Identity - you must confirm your identity and provide an original, official document of identification (for example Birth Certificate or Passport), in line with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006
- Qualifications - you must produce original documents as evidence of all qualifications you have listed on your application form
- Employment history - we will examine details of your employment history and you will need to explain any gaps in employment or and other issues which may be discovered
- References - we will request at least two written references to check employment dates and your relevant experience. These may be requested before your interview
- Convictions - you must declare any unspent convictions on your job application. For some jobs you will also need to declare 'spent' convictions under the "Rehabilitation of Offenders Exemption Order"
- DBS checks - you will need to provide a current DBS check for any post which involves working with children, young people or vulnerable adults - it is an offence to apply, offer or accept to do any work (paid or unpaid) if you have been disqualified from working with these groups
You will only receive an offer of appointment after we are satisfied with the outcome of all of the checks listed above.