Housing benefit

How to appeal

Once we decide how much benefit you will get, we will let you know how it was worked out. You can appeal if you disagree.

You must let us know in writing, and within one month from the date of our letter.

Change in your circumstances

Your housing benefit and council tax benefit is calculated using the information you give us about your

  • income
  • household
  • rent you pay

If these change, you must tell us your change in your circumstances.

Housing benefit overpayment

An overpayment happens when you are paid housing benefit that you are not entitled to. You must repay the overpayment.

You can pay us online, by weekly deductions or monthly instalments.