A Civil Partnership is a secular (non-religious) ceremony that is conducted and registered by a Registrar. The ceremony cannot have any religious content, but individual touches can be added such as music and readings.
Civil partners are not required to have a ceremony and can have a simple registration. During a 'signing only,' the couple sign the legal schedule in the presence of witnesses and the Registrar without the requirement of having to say any words or vows.
Where you can form Civil Partnerships
You are able to form your Civil Partnership in buildings that have been officially registered.
Places of religious worship may also be authorised for Civil Partnership.
Conversion to marriage
A couple who have entered into a civil partnership in England or Wales can now choose to convert to a marriage.
- The cost of the conversion is £45.00
- The cost of the marriage certificate issued on the day is £4.00
- If you intend to accompany your conversion with a ceremony the cost of preparing the conversion in advance is £27.00
Ceremony fees vary depending on the venue. You must decide upon the ceremony venue before your appointment. You will need to attend together and each bring:
- Original proof of identity (e.g. passport or full birth certificate)
- Original recently-dated proof of address (e.g. utility bill, bank statement, council tax statement)
- Your civil partnership certificate
Book a conversion
To book an appointment to convert your civil partnership call the Register Office on 020 8871 6120 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Booking a ceremony at Wandsworth Town Hall or at an approved venue in Wandsworth
You need to check the availability of the Registrars to attend a ceremony. Ceremonies can be booked up to two years in advance. Your marriage or civil partnership ceremony booking is provisional until such time as you have given your notices and completed the legal preliminaries.
- A non-refundable booking fee of £50 is required at the time of booking. This will be redeemed against the ceremony and certificate fee.
- Any outstanding balance is due no later than 2 months before the ceremony. If your booking is within 2 months the full fee is payable at the time of booking.
- Any changes to your booking will incur an administrative fee.
- The Register Office reserves the right to cancel a ceremony if payment has not been received.
If you choose an approved venue you will also need to make a booking at the venue.