Supporting carers

A carer is somebody who provides unpaid support for someone living at home who couldn't manage without help because they are frail, ill, have a disability, misuse substances, or have a mental health condition.

We recognise the important role which carers take on when they look after a friend or relative and the council has a responsibility to ensure that carers are supported in that role and to have a life outside of this role.

Carer assessments

We offer to assess the needs of carers who are providing regular and substantial care. The assessment provides you with the opportunity to talk about what will help you in your caring role as well as your own personal needs outside of caring. These assessments can be done with the person who you are caring for or separately. A carer can also request an assessment even if the person they care for is refusing services.

Support available includes:

Carer’s grant

The carer's grant scheme can provide up to £250 each financial year for carers to use towards something which will improve their quality of life, for example evening classes, holidays, items to free up time, and fitness and leisure equipment. To be eligible you must be providing regular and substantial care to someone over the age of 18 who lives in Wandsworth and who is eligible for an assessment for social care support.

Young carers

A young carer is a child or young person under the age of 18, whose life is restricted because of the need to care for someone who is frail or ill, has a disability or mental health condition or is affected by substance misuse.

Many children and young people are carers, providing emotional or physical care for a family member.

If you are a young carer, download the Young Carers Plan - A guide for young people, to see how we can help.

Further information for young carers

Contact us

Department of Education and Social Services
Customer Centre 
Town Hall
Wandsworth High Street
SW18 2PU


Telephone: 020 8871 7707 (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm)

Textphone: 020 8871 8485

Emergency out of hours: please contact the switchboard and ask for the emergency social worker: 020 8871 6000